Friday, November 22, 2013

"Sleigh Ride" Decorative Wood Sign

Hello Everyone! I have been busily preparing for Christmas parties and Thanksgiving, and thought of this fun idea for using my Stampin' Up! Build-A-Banner kit to make a trendy sign for my mantle decoration. These wood signs are all the rage on Pinterest right now, and I just knew I could create one with my stamping products and no paint! 

 I purchased a 6"x 30" piece of wood from the hardware store-only 1/2" thick, this helps keep the weight down while still having that vintage wood sign look. I started by wiping it down and placing painters tape across the top and bottom to give it a border. Then I took the Alphabet stencils and placed them down to see how they would fit for the words I wanted. I used washi tape to hold them down as I simply took a pencil and traced the letters.I then laid the stripes and chevron stencils over the entire sign and simply spritzed it with my Stampin' Spritzer from the kit. I used alcohol and Baked Brown Sugar and Crumb Cake ink refills. I also used my Vanilla Smooch Spritz to add some snowy shimmer to the entire sign. I then filled the letters with Tombo glue, 2 or 3 at a time and sprinkled our new Silver Stampin' Glitter over them. I let it sit just about 10 seconds or so and then tapped it off. I just love the contrast of the glittered letters on the bare wood! I couldn't believe how easy it was to get such a professional and clean image. It was all dry and finished within a half an hour of beginning the project! 


 I like how the ink spritz gives it that vintage aged look I love, while adding the glimmer of the glitter. I had planned on adding a snowflake or other embellishment to the end, but I love the simple beauty of it as it is. It was all made with the Build-A-BAnner kit,Ink, Tombo glue and Stampin' Glitter. Why buy pricey cookie-cutter signs at the department store to decorate for the Holidays, when you can make something much more personal and satisfying right in your craft room! If I can do it with 4 kids and all of the Holiday activites quickly approaching you can too! I can imagine many more projects with this fantastic kit! I also made some banners to use for Christmas and other events and will be posting those to my blog in the next week, just in time for Christmas. 

  I wish you good family, good friends, good turkey, and great stamping ideas! Gaylyn Pantana






  
  

No comments: